Friday, November 22, 2013

Bonus Tutorial Saturday: Paper Cut Pop Art

This is a remake of the tutorial that wasn't up to par last week. It turned out much better this time. I really wanted to make something colorful for my walls/desk (because I have no walls,  only windows). Something colorful, something cwafty, something bright, something that really popped!



I came up with a way to make striking pop art that is only as difficult as you want it to be!

Supplies:

 

  1. Bright Card stock, or Construction Paper
  2. Ruler
  3. Simple Image
  4. Scissors
  5. Glue
  6. X-acto Knife
  7. Self-healing Cutting Mat
  8. Pencil
  9. Sharpie or Felt tip pen
    Not Pictured
  10. Poster Board 
  11. Frame*
  12. Ruler
  13. Printer/Paper 
*Frame size is going to vary, I'll explain more below in the "Some Math" section. 
I chose to use my Spool logo for my pop art subject. Its a very simple design with few colors and lines, which is perfect for this project. You can find something on the interweb, or you can design your own.

Here's how I broke down my image:


Even this is a little complex if you don't want to spend hours hunched over carefully cutting with your X-acto knife. I simplified mine more by making the sides of the spool smooth and deciding to nix the thread in the needle. I also decided I could just free hand the lines on the spool top and bottom.

Step 1: Print your image. Using your plain white card stock, trace a copy of each part of your image. I show you the whole pattern process with piece #3.

I only used printer paper to make my pattern pieces and they were very flimsy. Learn from my mistakes young grasshopper.


Step 2: Cut out your pattern piece.


If you have any detail lines that will need to be transfered, use your X-acto knife to cut them out. Making a stencil(this is another reason not to use printer paper, mine ripped.)






Step 3: Using your pattern pieces, trace out a full set from each color of paper.

I drew in details as soon as I finished a piece because I'm impatient. It might be easier to do it when they're all done though.

Looking good already!

Step 4: Being very precise, cut out a rectangle of each color as a background for your image. Your size may vary, I used a 4in. x 5in. because I had a 8in. by 10in. frame.


Step 5: Now's the fun part, deciding how you're going to mix up the colors!



When you've laid all your pieces out and are happy with them you can begin gluing them down. Start with the pieces in the background and work your way forward. Make sure everything's nice and centered!

Step 6: Then just cut a piece of white card stock the size of the frame opening(or use the back of the insert that came in your frame, if its new) and glue your four rectangles down to it. Now just slide your art into the frame and display anywhere that needs a cheerful pop of color!


I am so glad this worked better this time! It makes me smile every time I look at it on my desk! As soon as we move into a new place it will be the first piece of a giant framed art wall collage 

Some Math: 
 My printed image measured about 2 1/2in. x 4 in. I wanted there to be a little bit of space for the background all around my image so I decided to do a 5in. x 5in. but compromised with 4in. by 5in. when I saw they didn't have any frames that were 10 square inches so I got a 8in x 10 in. I hope this helps if you have any questions just ask in the comments below!

 I love the endless possibilities for this project! You could use so many colors, or images! I almost want to make two more and make a triptych! I still haven't counted it out yet! What would you make pop?

Til Next Time,


RaCh

1 comment:

  1. This turned out so well and I love the colors you chose. Pop art is always awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete